Saturday, August 7, 2010

Soccer vs. Girls

As deminstrated by my newest poem, Penalty Kick, I have a new found love of soccer.Some may look at that, mostly men, and think "Finally a girl who knows her priorities." But i must admit, this new found love affair has come from hours and hours of having to sit through my brother's favorite game. He supports the rather poor Portsmouth in the Champions League. Well, they were in the champions league. I'm pretty sure they were religated from that this year though.
Anyway, after watching all this, picking up on the rules and everything, along came the World Cup 2010. And I fell for it. I swear to God, I knew who was playing everyday and at what time. I knew atleast one player on every team. I knew that Messi played for Argentina, Kevin Prince Boewtange played for Ghana, Kaka played for Brazil (insidentily, did you know Kaka isn't even his real name?)
For the last two weeks of football, I was on holidays in Italy (who failed to even get out of the group stages of the World Cup). Almost every day we were listening/watching the games, cheering on Usa, then Argentina, then Brazil, and finally Holland before Spain took its trophey. For the finals, we were in the process of returning to Ireland, sitting on a bus, our phones out, checking every half a minute to see if anyone had scored.
I really got into the whole thing. We girls are famed for hating the sport, hating the constant flow of games on TV that our husbands/brothers/sons have to watch. But as for me, I'm loving it. I'd like nothing more then an Argentina jersey with Messi written on the back for my birthday. Or maybe an irish rugby jersy. Hmmmmmm.... I'll have to think on that one.

2 comments: