Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Top Ten Things I Miss About America (Not including my awsome friends)

1. I miss the feilds and feilds of golden grain that haven't been rained on recently, that smell dried and crisp, ready to be harvested.



2. i miss basements. don't really know why, but i do miss them, that cool feeling of being under ground.



3. I miss Walmart. No, i never liked it, but it was always a land mark i could rely on. "Where do you live?" "Oh, you know where Walmart is..."



4. I miss yellow school busses. They were so obviously school busses, no need to put up strange numbers in windows or crazy symbols, they were all school busses, no weirdos, no public transport.



5. I miss the blue sky. I've said it many times before, but I'll say it again, blue sky is rare in Ireland, and it wouldn't hurt to get it once in a while.



6. I miss my keyboard telling me the right letters and symbols. since we started using irish websites, the @ and " signs switched places on our keyboard and now I've got to think before i writer any dialogue.



7. I miss the smell of hay. I ride horses, and never before i moved to Ireland had i heard of silage, and yet, since hay can no longer be kept dry, i stink of silage. My horse stinks of silage. Where's my lovely golden hay??????



8. I miss the ise skating rinks. i mean real ice skating rinks, not the tiny little kiddy ones they put up at christmas time, i'm talking real hokey rinks that you can skate around forever and ever.



9. I miss outdoor swimming pools. its kinda hard to swim in the rain, and the sea just keeps getting colder and colder. i miss being able to lie in the sun next to tons of screaming kids all splashing about.



10. I miss the american twang sometimes. not all the time, and in Italy on one train, i certianly did not enjoy listening to two american college boys waffling on about thier jewish girl friend. but sometimes i do miss it, i iss the sound of my american friend's voices.

3 comments:

  1. I did a post like that, before...What about proper wardrobes that are actually little rooms, not big boxes tacked on...Or does your house have some? I've only seen two houses with one nice wardrobe each here. And being able to get somewhere far away somewhat quickly, no tiny winding roads (though I like them). And space. I miss huge spaces, giant fields, and back gardens that aren't rocky and walled, where you can run and not worry about tripping, and how every house doesn't have walls or hedges, one yard just runs into the next.
    P.S. My computer is American, but the keyboard is Irish; if I press 2, it's still an @, even though the keyboard says ". How annoying is that! Especially since I'm hopeless at touch-typing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't possibly miss the American twang. It haunts me every time I hear it, it sounds so silly. All the Americans talking like that...if they could only hear themselves. All the beautiful European accents, and even English and Irish accents, and then there are the Americans...oblivious as cows. Well, I can never escape it, so I guess I have to learn to like it, but I can really see now why all those people look and grimace.
    There is a huge prejudiced racism to all Americans in most countries, that really sucks. Especially since I want to shout just because I sound American doesn't mean I am! I mean, I'd rather be Irish, but I'll always be American to anyone who meets me. It's not their/our fault, is it? Americans are a totally unique race, unlike any other. We were the first to the moon, we fought off the British successfully, we are one of the major world powers, we are open to change and radical ideas.
    We massacred countless Native Americans who had a right to live on their land, our government allowed Pearl Harbour to happen just so we could fight Japan, we used to keep human slaves, and Jamestown started off communist. Americans are at the front of change and oppression, of right and wrong, of good and evil, and of likeable or intolerable.
    Like I said, truly unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah. thats not fair, its not the americans' fault they dont sound quite as elegant as the europeans. america was a pioneer, fighting the ways of the past, venturing where no one had gone before, they were trying to be diffrent. i still think austrian and german sound the same. so can you blame them for thier "y'all"s and "yeeha"s?

    ReplyDelete